- Define the regional educational policy framework with the participation of stakeholders of education which shall reflect the values, needs and expectation of the communities they serve;
- Formulate the Regional Education Development Plan (REDP) based on the school, district and schools division plans which must address the unique needs of the Region following prescribed standards set by national and regional office.
- Perform oversight functions in the implementation of laws, policies, programs, and rules and regulations within the responsibility of DepED in the region;
- Develop regional educational standards through participation in the national and international academic assessments and use results in setting regional standards for planning and regional policy formulation;
- Monitor, assess and evaluate regional learning outcomes
- Approve the establishment of public and private elementary and high schools, special schools, integrated schools, and learning centers based on existing policies, standards, rules and regulations;
- Undertake and manage region-wide research and development projects, which may be funded through official development assistance and/or funding agencies;
- Plan and manage the effective and efficient use of personnel, physical and fiscal resources of the regional office, including professional staff development;
- Ensure strict compliance with prescribed national criteria for the recruitment, selection and training of all staff in the region and divisions
- Hire, place and evaluate employees in the Regional Office, except that of the Assistant Regional Director
- Evaluate the performance of Schools Division Superintendents and Assistant Schools Division Superintendent
- Exercise appointing and disciplinary authority over all the employees in the regional office, except the Assistant Regional Director, subject to policies and guidelines set by the Department
- Determine the organizational structure of the schools divisions and districts and approve the proposed staffing pattern of the schools divisions and districts based on guidelines set.
- Maintain and manage the database and management information system of the region
- Perform such other functions as may be assigned by proper authorities
Office of the Assistant Regional Director Specific Functions:
- Assist the Regional Director in the management of the region and in exercising management functions of planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling; He/she may be assigned specific areas of responsibilities and be delegated the necessary authority to perform the task by the RD.
- Assist the Regional Director in the crafting and in monitoring the implementation of the education development plans and programs of the region;
- Represents the Regional Director by acting as the chairman in committees and bodies (i.e. the Regional Promotions Board, Investigation and Grievance Committee) as may be assigned